Friday, November 9, 2012

September Song by Maxwell Anderson



When I was a young man courting the girls
I played me a waiting game
If a maid refused me with tossing curls
I'd let the old Earth take a couple of whirls
While I plied her with tears in place of pearls
And as time came around she came my way
As time came around, she came.

But it's a long, long while from May to Decemeber
And the days grow short when you reach September
And the autumn weather turns the leaves to flame
And I haven't got time for the waiting game
And the wine dwindles down to a precious brew
September, November - and these few vintage years
I'd share with you. These vintage years I'd share with you.

But it's a long, long while from May to December
And the days grow short when you reach September
And I have lost one tooth and I walk a little lame...

No comments: